Sunflower Trophy Races Connal Courtney
Sleet and snow didn’t put off a very determined Warrenpoint schoolboy, when he competed in his first race at a bitterly cold day at Nutts Corner in 2013. For Connall Courtney, this was a baptism of fire, but it didn’t put him off, and in 2015, , took 9 wins and won the Irish and Ulster Production 300 championship
The following two seasons, Courtney, competed in the British Superbike paddock in the Motostar standard Moto 3 class. 2016 being a steep learning curve, but he made big steps and in 2017 was making good progress until he got caught up in a start-line incident at Oulton Park, thus aggravating an old wrist injury and further complicated the injury to a broken wrist sustained at Knockhill.
Having sat out the rest of 2017 and most of 2018 the 20 year old trainee accountant is returning to racing this weekend at the Sunflower , this time on board a stock 600 Yamaha .
; “I have some good memories at the sunflower, getting my first podium at the meeting in 2014. I love the atmosphere of the whole event and I am chomping at the bit to get back out on a bike and into a competitive meeting. It will be difficult to be on the pace early, given how long I’ve been out of the sport, but I am hoping to get better as the weekend goes on and get a bit of momentum to drive me into 2019. We are competing on our own R6 and a one off appearance on the Team ILR Moto 3 at the sunflower and for 2019, I will be aiming to be back in the BSB paddock in the Superstock 600 class and with experience of that paddock and 2 years more maturity, I feel as though I can target some good results next year.
As always, a massive thank you to my sponsors Modern Tyres, Brian Jones at Mototech, who have stayed alongside me despite the absence, and of course my family for maintaining their support for me.
Paddock will be open from 2.00pm!
Information for Competitors & Spectators;
The Sunflower Trophy race meeting which takes place on Friday 19th and Saturday 20th October,also incorporates the final round of the 2018 USBK Championships.This is a Two Day event,
Thursday 18th October ; Competitors will be admitted to the Paddock from 2.00pm,
Thursday 19th October; Spectators /Motorhomes etc admitted to Circuit after 6.00pm.
Practice and Qualifying will commence Friday 19th October @ approx 9.15 AM.
Five Races will take place on Friday afternoon.
Car Parking and Viewing on Hard Standing Everywhere.
Friday ONLY ; £15.00
Saturday ; £ 20.00
Race Schedule for Sunflower Trophy Races
The 41st Sunflower Trophy Race meeting takes place this Friday and Saturday. With continued sponsorship from Jim Finlay, this unique end of season short circuit has yet again attracted a top class entry. Timed Practice will start on Friday morning at 9.15 am
Race Timetable –
1. Pre Injection & Cup Non-Qualifiers 8 Laps
2. Superbike Pro Race 1 10 Laps
3. Superbike Cup / Supersport Cup & F1 8 Laps
4. Young Guns Challenge / Junior Cup 7 Laps
5. Moto 3 / 250GP 8 Laps
Race Timetable – Saturday
Stewards Meeting 8.00am to 8.30am
Riders Briefing 8.45am
Warm Up – 9.15 am 1. Superbike 2. Supersport
Saturday Race Programme
1. Lightweight Supersport 8 Laps
2. Young Guns Challenge / Junior Cup 7 Laps
3. Supertwins / Prod Twins 8 Laps
4. Moto 3 / 250cc GP 8 Laps
5. Supersport Pro 10 Laps
6. Superbike Cup / Supersport Cup & F1 8 Laps
7. Superbike Pro Race 2 10 Laps
8. Sidecars 8 Laps
9. The Sunflower Trophy Race 12 Laps
10. Pre Injection & Cup Non-Qualifiers 8 Laps
11. S/Twins / P/ Twins (Junior Sunflower Trophy Race)
8 Laps 12. Supersport Pro
10 Laps 13. Lightweight Supersport 8 Laps
14. Sidecars 8 Laps
- The McGrady Insurance Stages are ready to roar ...
- A J Plumbing Supplies Ulster SBK Championship ...
- Competition Time ! We have two pair of tickets ...
- Black Horse Motorcycle Festival ’19 at the Eik...
- 🏁Bishopscourt Track Day with Ernie Coates🏁 TAG ...
- MCUI(UC)Ltd Press Release 26/01/19 The Motorcyc...
- Classic Bike Fest Ireland 2019 An annual motorc...
- The MCUI Ulster Centre promoting clubs working ...
- The final round of the 2018 Ulster Superbike Ch...
- Buildbase Suzuki British Superbike star Richard...
- February 2019
- January 2019
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- October 2015
- June 2015
- March 2014